Monday, October 19, 2009

Domino Butt-Joint to a line

This is a post I made on The Woodwhisperer Community forum about how to butt-joint a member into the middle of another with a Domino joiner.  Normally you use registration surfaces to create Domino'd joints, but here you have a line.  Voilà the post:

When you have the Domino standing up on a board, the tenon's centerline will be 10mm up from the bottom edge of the Domino. Note that this is to the centerline so it does not matter which size Domino tenon you are using (4, 5, 6, 8, or 10).

Here's a walk-through:

Voilà, two boards to butt joint:


The line on the wide board represents where the reference edge on the narrow board will line up.

Next, set the Domino on that line and line up the mark on the bottom of the unit to the tenon's position.
 
Notice how the centerline of the tenon is 10mm up from the reference line. This is constant since there is no adjustment for it.

 
Now, you'll need the mortise centered 10mm down from the reference surface of the second board to join. Since this other board uses the 90-degree fence, set it to center the mortise 10mm down from the fence; since the gauge on the side centers the mortise on a thickness, you set the gauge at 20mm to put the mortise 10mm down from the fence.

 
Mortise the end of the narrow board using the 90-degree fence like you are used to.

 
Voilà:

 
One other important point: when you adjust the height of the 90-degree fence, adjust it with the fence in the upright position. If it is tilted down 90-degrees when you set it, I've noticed that the fence may lock tilted. With the fence up during the adjustment, I can't get it to lock tilted when trying.

5 comments:

  • Anonymous said...
     

    "This is a post I made on The Woodwhisperer Community forum about how to butt-joint a member into the middle of another..."
    I got a chuckle out of this, envisioning two FORUM MEMBER dominoed together.

  • HalfInchShy said...
     

    Ha ha LOL, yeah, and they weren't happy as I used Titebond 3...

  • Anonymous said...
     

    About that : "adjust it with the fence in the upright position. If it is tilted down 90-degrees when you set it, I've noticed that the fence may lock tilted."

    I've done some testing on my own with a digital protractor and -at least on my unit- both method don't make any difference. In both case I get a 0.2 degrees difference in my readings. Maybe some units are more or less sloppy ? Do you actually reproduce the same issue with both of the fences you have ?

    Cheers

  • HalfInchShy said...
     

    I don't think I worded it well. Or I'm mis-reading your comment :) Possible! I'm in the middle of a high-pressure work project so my brain isn't all functional...

    Anyway, if the Domino is sitting flat on the bench, what I've found with my first generation fence (a pin fence) is that if I tilt down the fence to 90º _then_ adjust the height of the fence, when I lock the fence, it will not always be parallel to the bench surface. Since you'll use that fence to reference for the mortise, it means the mortise will possibly not be parallel to the reference surface. That projects into the joint be slightly askew.

    The fence when tilted down to 90º has always been 90º for me; that part is fine.

    To avoid the problem I mention, I typically tilt the fence up and lock it. Now adjust the height of the fence and lock it. Now if I tilt down the fence, it is parallel to the bench surface (bottom of Domino).

  • Unknown said...
     

    No no you did word it well from the start and it's how I understood it the first time.

    What I'm saying is that on my unit, it doesn't seem to matter whether the fence is up or down at the time I set the height. I'm not seeing the issue you have on my fence. (I checked mine with a digital protractor if that matters)

    Anyway thanks for all the tips and sharing your skills. Way to go bro !