Monday, December 20, 2010

Stealth Project

I have since completed this project... read this teaser if you like, but then head over to the build post!

Last night a little after midnight, I thought of a nice project to make with a special board I found last week at Woodworkers' Source.  Having (more or less) finally finished a bunch of "shop-tectonics", I could even use bench surfaces for what they were intended to do!

Today, I got started a little after noon and finished a little after midnight.  I streamed the whole time via UStream though I stayed out of any chat rooms or I'd still be at the "lumber selection" step.

I can't explain the project yet as one of my two readers is the lucky (?!) recipient of the project.  At this point, everything is ready for dying then glue-up; one part needs drum sanding, a couple dimensional changes, then a special finish to compensate for its construction.

I'll blog about it on, say, Boxing Day and include photos.  Regrettably, I didn't take a lot of photos along the way of the build, but it isn't that complicated anyway.  Considering the work I have left, it is likely a (full) weekend project, finishing taking more time simply to let the stuff set.

There were notable appearances by the DJ-1, CT-16, and JMPv2.

Stay tuned (literally!)...

3 comments:

  • Aaron said...
     

    So you're saying that I have a 50/50 shot of getting this as a gift, right? Great! But I didn't get you anything, dang it!

  • HalfInchShy said...
     

    Very astute, Aaron! Now if I alphabetized my recipient list, you'd have it locked up! :)

    As for getting me something, well, I have a wish list at Lee-Valley. In fact they liked it so much, it is on the home page labeled "Woodworking Index".

  • Anonymous said...
     

    Allow me to reduce Aarons odds. Love the tools you cited. Do they have the Harbor Freight version? And, beautiful looking wood. I'm sure you'll do it justice.

    Thanks, Dean